Where We Work
Communities We Partner With
Program descriptions for these locations coming soon:
Palau/Northern Reefs, Pohnpei/Lehnger, Pohnpei/Pakin, Pohnpei/Palikir, Pohnpei/Dehpehk-Tchakiou, Pohnpei/Nanwap, Pohnpei/Nahtik.
OneReef has demonstrated our approach across communities in the Micronesia Region, and we’ve built an exciting pipeline of starter projects now ready to be implemented. We will demonstrate our solution and consolidate our reputation in Micronesia, then begin building similar portfolios by adapting our model to other parts of the Asia-Pacific Region.
OneReef partners with island communities across the Micronesia Region, which includes Palau, the Federated States of Micronesia, and the Republic of the Marshall Islands. Our goal is to adapt this proven model to other parts of the Asia-Pacific Region, setting the stage for rapid regional adoption and as a model for global scaling.
Micronesia is ideal for our work because:
- Micronesia supports some of the largest and most biologically diverse reefs on earth; it’s home to over 1400 species of fish and 400 species of coral.
- Communities legally own or exert control over reefs and steward them. They derive direct benefits from them and have a direct incentive to protect and sustainably use them.
- Driven by the Micronesian culture of stewardship, community members volunteer their time and dedicate much of their lives to protect and manage their reefs and ocean.
- There is substantial political will to protect reefs and ensure they continue to thrive, both because of their cultural heritage and because reefs are directly tied to critical economic benefits like tourism and coastal protection.
- There are relatively few threats from large-scale pollution or industrial-scale developments that often conflict with conservation.